Casting movies and series is a hard and, at times, spontaneous task, the result of which may lead to different character combinations within one project.
Sometimes it happens that an actor makes a strong impression on directors, but is not suited to play a role, and that’s it! But how can you lose the actor? In such cases, the actor may be held and offered another role, even opposite in character, but in the same film.
Let’s look at some examples of famous movies and series in which an actor was supposed to play one role, but eventually got another.
1. Tom Felton could play Harry Potter in the self-titled movie
But in the end, he got the role of Draco Malfoy. Harry Potter was portrayed by Daniel Radcliffe.
2. Matt Damon and Heath Ledger were supposed to play opposite roles in The Brothers Grimm
Of the two brothers, Ledger should have played down-to-earth and rational Wilhelm, but Damon — dreamy Jacob. However, after reading the script, the actors changed the roles.
3. Tom Hiddleston auditioned for the role of Thor in the Marvel Cinematic Universe
But eventually, he got the role of his brother, Loki. Thor was played by Chris Hemsworth.
4. Arnold Schwarzenegger might have played Kyle Reese in The Terminator
But instead, Arnold got the role of T-800 himself. Kyle Reese was played by Michael Biehn.
5. John Krasinski might have played Dwight Schrute in The Office series
In the end, he was cast as Jim Hapert. Dwight Schrute was portrayed by Rainn Wilson.
6. Iwan Rheon might have cast as Jon Snow in Game of Thrones series
But eventually, he played one of the most vivid negative characters of the series — Ramsay Bolton. An actor, Kit Harington, became Jon Snow.
7. Heath Ledger was offered the role of Batman in Batman Begins
Christopher Nolan personally offered him the role of Bruce Wayne, but at that point Ledger refused, not wanting to take part in the superhero film. However, later he appeared in the sequel film as the main Batman’s enemy, Joker. Batman was played by Christian Bale.
8. James Franco auditioned for the role of Spider-Man
He eventually got the role of his best friend, Harold Osborn. Peter Parker was played by Tobey Maguire.
9. Courteney Cox initially auditioned for the role of Rachel Green in Friends series
She eventually played Monica Geller, while Rachel’s character was given to Jennifer Aniston.
10. Sebastian Stan auditioned for the role of Captain America in the Marvel Cinematic Universe
In the end, he got the role of his superhero friend, Bucky Barnes, who is also known as Winter Soldier. Chris Evans became Captain America.
11. Cillian Murphy auditioned for the role of Batman in Batman Begins
But played Scarecrow in the same film.
12. Jensen Ackles auditioned for the role of Sam Winchester in Supernatural series
Instead, he got the role of his brother, Dean Winchester. Jared Padalecki played Sam.
Bonus: Eddie Redmayne auditioned for the role of young Tom Riddle in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Later he was given the role of Newton Scamander in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. Young Lord Voldemort was played by Christian Coulson.